March 17–St. Patrick’s Day–is coming soon, and if you want to party with your friends and family, now is the time to consider St Patricks Day party themes. It’s always easier to plan and decorate if you have a specific focus of a theme with which to work.
- Green is the New Black–ask everyone to wear green, serve green drinks and foods.
- Sham-ROCK the House (or Sham-Rock the Block)–see if you can find an Irish rock band or get a deejay who can get everyone up and dancing with an Irish beat.
- The Blarney Bash–another great theme for a St. Patrick’s Day festival of Irish food and drink
- Irish Cèilidh— invite some musicians who can play some Irish music and dancers–check your local dance schools for Irish dancers. Perhaps a dance teacher can teach your guests some simple steps.
- Kiss Me–I’m Irish–lipstick lip prints make a great decorative motif for this theme
- Over the Rainbow–rainbow decorations and foods make a colorful party.
- The Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow— pots of gold candy coins can be fun favors–you might want to have a scavenger hunt for the leprechaun’s gold.
- Lucky in Love–for a romantic couples party, you could use playing cards or other symbols of good luck.
- Lucky Leprechauns–you could ask your guests to wear green and then provide them with hats, ties or pins to be leprechauns–take photos of everyone.
- Irish Pub Night–set up your rec room like an Irish pub–a bar, dart game, card tables, Irish music.
- St. Patty’s Pub Crawl–line up up a series of pubs /bars to visit on one night-see which ones will have special St. Patty’s Day celebrations. Line up a designated driver.
- Irish Poetry Reading–if your friends are of a literary bent, ask each guest to prepare a short reading by a favorite Irish poet to share.
- Irish Whiskey or Beer Tastings–have several brands, small cups for tastings, and handouts for guests to mark their opinions.
- St. Patrick’s Open House–if you are hosting a weekend party, you could have an open-ended party where your guests may come and go over several hours.
- Irish Adventures–show Irish travelogues, play Irish music, decorate with Irish flags and photos of Irish landmarks. Do some research online and make a PowerPoint presentation about great places to visit in Ireland to share with your guests.
If you would like to check out some ideas for a general St. Patrick’s Day party, read my post from last year.