Would you like to celebrate Cinco de Mayo on May 5? You’re craving a Mexican treat, but you have to go to your child’s baseball game or soccer practice. Weill, here’s an easy Latin-flavored entrée you could make, take and enjoy while you watch the game. Try these Cinco de Mayo walking tacos–they’re easy to make and really hit the spot with people of all ages!
- Individual-sized bags of Doritos nacho chips or Fritos corn chips
- (for all those you are serving –you might even want to bring a few extra for hearty eaters)
- 1 pound taco-seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken o
- 1 or 2 15.5-ounce cans of chili, with or without beans
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream
- Other options: Chopped onions; chopped peppers; guacamole; black beans, pinto beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained; corn, drained and rinsed; sliced black olives; rice; salsa; green chile peppers or pickled sliced jalepeno chiles.
- Prepare your beef or chicken as recommended on a packet of dry taco seasoning. Then place in an insulated container to keep it hot. You could also open a can of chili, with or without beans, heat in the microwave, and place in an insulated container.
- Put your other choice of ingredients in containers and place in an insulated bag or cooler with ice.
- Be sure to pack several serving spoons to serve your meat and condiments, your bags of chips, disposable forks, and napkins or wet-wipes.
- You may want to crush the chips carefully in the bags, so the smaller pieces of chips will mix with the other ingredients more easily and be easier to eat with a fork. Open the bags of chips carefully across the tops. You don’t want to rip the sides of the bags, since the bags are in essence functioning as your bowls or taco shells.
- Spoon in your seasoned meat or chili over the chips. Then add your shredded lettuce and shredded cheese over the meat in the bag. Add a dollop of sour cream, mix with your fork and have at it!
- You can also add any of your optional accompaniments like chopped onions, black olives and guacamole.
Enjoy your portable fiesta!