We all tend to associate the Christmas season with candlelight–its warmth and glow suggests the cozy depth of feelings that grow us as we approach the holiday. Candles are used throughout our homes, in our windows, on our tabletops, contributing to the light that brightens the darkening winter season. Check out this captivating candle lore.
- It is said…and so is it written: “Burn a new white candle entire, if happiness you desire.”
- Burning a new white candle in a new home brings happiness.
- For true love, burn a candle of pure pink on St. Valentine’s Day.
- Lighting a green candle on the night of a new moon will attract money, but, to light it from a fire will prevent you from ever growing rich.
- Burning a black candle will banish evil spirits.
- Purple is the ancient color of emperors and kings, hence its use to celebrate the advent of the Christ Child. Burn a purple candle for power and another for success.
- A red candle on the Eve of Yule ensures prosperity for the new year. Burning a red candle attracts strength and vitality. Red is the color of Eros.
- Lit candles on a birthday cake symbolize good luck, good health and wish fulfilled when blown out in one breath.
- Unlit candles on a Christmas tree ensure warmth and plenty for your family.
Candle Colors Connote Characteristics
Ancient folklore attributes different energies to different colors of candles:
- White: Spiritual truth and strength; purity and purification; meditation; attract benevolent spiritual forces; break curses; feminine principle (in alchemy).
- Pink: Love and friendship; harmony; entertaining; morality; domestic tranquility; the sign of Cancer.
- Red: Sexuality; strength; physical health and vigor; passion; protection; the signs of Scorpio and Aries; masculine principle (in alchemy).
- Orange: Courage; communication; solving of legal problems; concentration; encouragement; the sign of Taurus.
- Yellow: Persuasion; confidence and charm; aid to memory and studying; the signs of Virgo and Gemini.
- Green: Healing; money and prosperity; luck; fertility; the sign of Sagittarius.
- Blue: Psychic and spiritual awareness; peace; prophetic dreams; protection during sleep; the signs of Aquarius and Virgo.
- Purple: Ambition; ruling authority; reversing a curse; speeding healing in illness; extra power; the sign of Pisces; lavender for the sign of Libra.
- Gold: Protection; enlightenment; masculine principle; the Sun; the sign of Leo.
- Silver: Intuition; subconscious; feminine principle; the Moon.
- Brown: Protecting pets; solving household problems; attracting help in financial crises; the sign of Capricorn.
- Gray: Stalemate; neutrality; cancellation.
- Black: Loss; sadness; discord; release; negativity. From Rosemary Ellen Guiley, www.visionaryliving.com